We have started to see guest posting as a primary way for bloggers to build their profile, traffic and generate some authority with Google. I just covered the benefits of guest blogging in my last article. It listed the 10 benefits of guest blogging, some points are well known, but I have also covered some not-so-well-know benefits of guest posting in that article.
After you understand the real benefits of what guest blogging can do for you and your blog, I think it is time for you to now understand on how to become awesome at guest blogging. Guest blogging is a whole different ball game than posting on your blog. Not really different, but not the same either.
Here are tips to become awesome at guest blogging:
Always Give Your Best Work
Many bloggers try to get their crappy posts to be published as a guest post. Because some people do the guest posting and then end up feeling like, “Dang I just gave them my best stuff!”. They have regrets that they should have used such a good post on their own blog. This is not a good way to think. The best way to becoming an effective and exceptional guest blogger is by always giving your best work.
If you are especially hoping to see your post published on major blogs then there is no way that you can send in a sub-standard article. Most high pagerank blogs are flooded with many guest posts from other bloggers, so you need to ensure that your article stands out among the crowd.
Which is why you should always take your time to do your research and provide as much as depth possible in a guest post.
Link to Other Posts on the Blog
Internal linking is a great SEO technique. Apart from this, I have seen that linking to other posts on the blog where you guest post creates a killer impression about the author. It really boosts the chances of seeing your article published. There are a lot of things that internally linking within your guest posts to older posts on the blog can do:
- It boosts the SEO of the blog you are submitting to
- It helps to increase page views to the older articles which you have linked back to
- Readers will find you a person who does his research (because it shows that you have looked through the archives), it is a great reputation to have if you are a blogger
Do Effective SEO of Your Post
Make sure that your article has a little work done about it’s on-page SEO. There are several ways that you can search engine optimize a blog post, in fact here is a post I have covered solely on that topic: 7 Killer Ways To SEO a Blog Post. This post discusses some interesting techniques to rank an article higher on Google. Some new concepts such as Keyword Pyramids are discussed in the article. So be sure to go through it.
Effectively SEO your guest post, as the benefits will be flowing to you as well. In terms of SEO juice as well as the traffic perspective. Take the time out to understand how to SEO an article.
Promote The Post Once It is Published
This is one thing that differentiates between the mediocre guest bloggers from the exceptional one’s. Here are 3 quick ways to promote a guest post:
- Share the guest post on your Facebook wall
- Tweet the guest post on Twitter periodically
- Mention about the guest post on your own blog with subtlety (perhaps as a link at the end of your recent article)
- Submit to sites such as Digg, Reddit etc.
When you promote a guest post, it is not only for the receivers benefit, it is you as well who benefits from the promotion. Here are some benefits that you get when you promote a guest post:
- It is impressive when people see that you have been published in other places as well. The more popular the blog, the more it helps your own popularity within the network.
- There are SEO benefits to the guest post published when you promote it. It is something that will flow back to you as well.
- It helps you forge a strong rapport with the blogger who accepts your guest post because free promotion is something that every blogger will be grateful for!
Interact with the Comments On Your Post
The true impact of your guest post will not be only the SEO benefits, instead the opportunity that you gain to interact with a new audience pool that is dedicated to the blog where you submit your guest post. Also, it leaves a really poor impression when you do not respond to the commentators to a guest post. Because most commentators directly address the author of a guest post.
Interacting with the comments on your guest post is a great way to build rapport and popularity among a new set of audience. Most of them could end up becoming your new readers.
It is totally up to a guest poster to make the most out of a guest post. There are thousands of bloggers who guest post, but only a handful who actually take away as much as they give. I sincerely hope that these tips help you get very good at guest blogging. You can use this list to get started with guest posting on high pagerank blog: Guest post blogs.